Tuesday, November 19, 2019
How I started diving
I am a student at Slippery Rock University and am currently in the Aquatics minor. I had never considered scuba diving before and wanted to try it out, luckily there is a class that will get you certified as an Open water Diver and I was able to get into the class last Spring. The class was taught by the PADI operated JT Scuba of Volant, PA, which is about twenty minutes from Slippery Rock. All the instructors were very informative on any questions we had to ask, and were very patient if any students were falling behind. They wanted to make sure we knew all the skills before we were allowed to go into the 12 feet deep end of the field house pool. One of my favorite skills learned was jumping into the pool with all gear off and you had to push it to the bottom of the pool and begin to put everything on underwater. It was a challenging skill and I felt real good after completing it. We finished the semester with testing for the open water certification by going to Strawberry Quarry in Volant, PA and performing all pool skills in an open water setting. After completing the dives, we all went back to the dive shop and had a small party and filled out our dive log books. Now that I have my open water certification, I am diving as often as I can and am up to having 22 completed dives and am working towards getting my advanced open water in Spring 2020.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am very jealous of you for getting the opportunity to learn how to dive. I have always wanted to learn how because I love snorkeling and seeing cool things in the water. I went to Greece this past summer for my honeymoon and I went snorkeling a lot. There were fish everywhere and the water was super clear, but it got deep pretty fast. I really wish i would have had diving equipment on so that i could have gotten an up close look at all the cool rock formations and fish that were deep under the water. Maybe one day i will be able to take that diving class and get certified just like you.
ReplyDelete